Dash cam can be used both within the car and outside. They can aid in car parking too. Different technologies of today, like GPS or recorders, can be easily coupled into it. The device is widely used for cars, buses, police verification, etc. But how do you actually use it? Here we have compiled dash cam instructions and features of dash cam that you can use.
Dash Cam Instruction (Step By Step)
Using a Front Dash Cam is very easy. Just follow these steps as these steps are common for all kinds of a dash cam. There may be a little change depending on the type but you can rely on these steps.
Before installing the dash cam, you are required to verify local laws. The local law varies from place to place. There might be some restrictions on vehicle laws regarding placing devices. So, it would be advisable to check local laws for the area where you stay. Otherwise, placing the dash cam behind the rear mirror would have been the best location.
First of all, locate the perfect location for setting the dash cam. It would be recommended to put the dash cam near the windshield. It would be best if you can locate the same behind the rear view mirror. Try putting it at the central position of the windshield. This location would be perfect as it serves two purposes. One avoiding any driver’s view obstruction. Secondly, hide the dash came from getting viewed by others.
The second step would be to locate the source of power. If your car is equipped with a USB port, it could be nothing like it. In case you don’t have this facility, the lighter socket, behind the cigarette ashtray can solve. If your car is at a standstill position, the USB or the cigarette lighter charger may not supply power. It would better not to drain the battery of the car unnecessarily. It would be better to use a hardwire kit.
The power supply to the dash cam is quite vital. So, wire cables need to be there to transmit power to the device. Use the headliners inside the car to the route. Target the USB or power source. It would help if you tried to locate the wires towards the supply. The weather strips can be used to hide the wires within the car as the wire crosses pillars. Hold the cable in headliners, and if you find them loose, you can use cable clips if needed.
You would be required to route the cable till you reach downside the dashboard. Use the nook and crannies to lay the wire. To finish, you need to plug the wire to the power source.
Using the rear dash cam chose the location of the cam so that it can cover 180⁰ space. For this, the middle top location of the rear windshield would be perfect. Ensure the maximum area from north to south has been taken care of. The rest steps are quite similar to the front dash-cam.
After the front and rear dash, cams are located at the position, and you need to try putting it on. Start your vehicle take a ride, and the dash cam should start automatically. If there is an automatic start of recording by the cam. It would suggest the installation is perfect. Also, you need to check if the wires are not protruding out quickly. The wires are not visible; that means the process of using in all right. For unresolved claims and DIY fail, better consult the local service center.
Features of Dash Cam
There are various types of dash cams, but three types are notably used. They are 1) Purpose-built dash cam 2) digital cameras, and 3) smartphones. In case you desire to record the situation behind the wheels, you need a purpose-built dash-cam. The budget guides you to buy the type of dash cams. The non-featured, less frilled dash cams are available at the lowest price. But if you opt for an advanced model, you need to spend more. The advanced features would be more expensive.
All dash cams are provided with two features besides color and size. The one-channel or front-facing dash-cams, and dual-channel dash-cam. They satisfy both front and rear recording. The dual models cover car interiors also. This enables parents to keep watch on children’s activities. Also, drivers can view rear-seated individuals.
An additional feature available in the advanced dash cam
- The facility of GPS logging
- The audio recording criteria
- An accelerometer
- The presence of UPS, i.e., uninterrupted power supply
- The speed sensors
The generic technical features of dash cams are as follows
1. The Video Resolution VGA/HD or Full High Definition
- VGA-it has the lowest resolution
- HD-it is with high definition; optical ranges are 1,1.3,2,15 or 12 megapixel CMOS
- FHD- stands for full high definition
2. The Wide Viewing Angles/WDR-Wide Dynamic Range
The dash cam is capable of capturing a wide-angle of 120 to 180⁰. Additionally, the WDR feature enables the cam to adjust itself automatically. Continue recording even at low light conditions.
3. The Global Positioning System
To capture speed. Also, exterior details, all the dash cams are provided with internal GPS. May be optional external GPS feature is available.
4. Recording the Loop/Cycle
Usually, once the memory space is full, the dash cam discontinues recording. It starts again after a gap of 1, 2, 5, or 8 minutes. This feature enables the recording of the latest file instead of deleting the whole.
5. Detection Of Motion Or Mode For Parking
If you want to record rear activities, this feature of the dash cam will help. The major utility of it recognizes vandals.
6. The Gravity Center Or G-Center
The G-center gets activated in case any irregular activity is traced. They are capable of restoring the past, present, and future files recorded.
7. Stamping Of Date And Time
The dash-cam recorded files get tagged for the date and time of the recording. If you turn on the feature, the time and date stamping gets activated automatically.
8. The Automatic On/Off
When you start your car, the dash cam gets activated. The dash cam starts working as soon as the car starts, but the dashcam stops if you turn off the car.
9. Camera With A Still Picture
Besides videos, the dash cams are capable of taking still photographs too.
10. The Night Vision Feature
In conditions where light is less especially during nighttime. The dash cams can continue to work. This is possible with infrared or advanced technologies in darkness.
11. Compression Of Files
In general, the dash cam can store high-resolution files on the memory card. The dash can use the H.264 compression system that permits their ability.
The wide dynamic range is the feature in-dash cams. Those provide it with enables better exposure before video or photo capture. The dash cam is capable of automatic adjustments in case of less light conditions.
You can buy the dash cams online. Amazon.com can help. You can avail of the facility to review features and prices that permits your budget. But remember, the prices vary with time and place. So it would be better to subscribe to the best prices.
Some Bestselling Dash Cam
1. APEMAN Mini Dash Cam 1080P
No products found.
2. CHORTAU Dual Dash Cam
- ★【Dash Cam Front and Rear】This dual dash cam equipped with 1080P resolution front camera and waterproof rear camera.The car dashcam with 6 pcs IR LED and Wide Dynamic Range, the front camera captures the license plates and road signs clearly even at night, thus ensuring to get you the best footage. Wide-angle front (170°) and rear（130°）camera help eliminate the blind spots of your vision.
- ★【Loop Recording & Emergency Accident Locks】Seamless loop recording overwrites the old footage with new content when the card is full. Variable sensitivity G-Sensor automatically detects a sudden collision and immediately saves the relevant footage and locks it to SOS file. Thus preventing any overwriting and thereby protecting your video evidence. Keep you away from driving disputes. This dashboard camera supports up to 32GB of micro SD card (NOTE: card NOT included in package).
- ★ 【Dash Cams with Parking Mode】The dash cams automatically powers on and starts recording as soon as impact is detected, thus providing you a video evidence if your car is scratched by someone in parking. Hence ensuring your peace of mind with complete 24x7 monitoring of your car.We suggest some important function settings for your daily using: G-Sensor level choose" low" , or turn off; loop recording choose “3 minutes”; motion detection choose "off" ; parking monitor choose "On".
The Front and Rear CHORTAU Dual Dash Cam 3 inch have Full HD 170°. Also the Wide Angle Camera with Night Vision. Also WDR, G-Sensor Parking Monitor Loop Recording Motion Detection
3. Dash Cam 1080P DVR Dashboard Camera
- 🚗【1080P Full HD Driving Recorder】The car camera can record in up to 1080P(1920x1080 at 30fps) in recording, Offer You a Broad Detailed Road Video, with a 170°wide angle lens captures the whole road in crystal-clear definition.It greatly offers you a perfect video evidence in the insurance case increase your sense of security and necessary indemnification.
- 🚗【G-sensor Emergency Lock】The dash camera with motion detection can automatically detect a sudden shake/collision and lock the footage to prevent the video from being overwritten even in loop recording or parking mode.
- 🚗【Seamless Loop Recording】The car cam will automatically overwrite the oldest unlocked videos with the newest when the memory card is full.Locked files won't be deleted from loop recording, protecting important video evidence in case of accidents.
The model is named Dash Cam 1080P DVR Dashboard Camera. Featured with Full HD 3” LCD Screen with 170°Wide Angle, besides WDR, G-Sensor, and Loop Recording. The motion detection cam produces excellent Video Images.
4. Van Top H610 10” 2.5K Mirror
No products found.
The model is named Van Top H610 10” 2.5K Mirror. They have a full Touch Screen. They also have a Waterproof Backup Camera too. Rear View Mirror Camera is there. Enhanced Night Vision features with Sony Starvis Sensor, provide Parking Help is there.
The dash cam would allow insurance claim easier for owners for the verification process. It is a brilliant device that can store streaming videos to capture real-time events. You have to stamp facilities to display time and date. You have night vision abilities. The dash cams are effective for capturing low light environment. The adaptability to GPS features enables you to locate directions. You need not worry about switching the cam on and off manually.