A dashboard camera is mostly known as a dash cam. It is a digital recorder placed in the car. Through the vehicle’s front camera, recording can be done too. Here, we are going to provide where to mount a dash cam guide to help you mount a dash cam, their types, etc.
Where To Mount a Dash Cam Guide?
Mounting It On A Dashboard
One important rule while driving is that one should be able to see the rear wheels of the vehicle. That is a trick for keeping safe by maintaining minimum distance. The size of the dash cam is also important. The dash cam shouldn’t be an obstruction to the driver. Having it on the windshield will be even more obstructing.
Mounting It On A Windshield
It is a popular opinion that the place of mounting doesn’t matter. But it is the wrong one. With the right amount of focal length, one can mount the dash cam in the desired place as required, which is mostly the middle. The dash cam should be behind the rearview mirror, as so it won’t get in the way when one is driving.
Most dash cams consist of suction much secure cup. This makes it easier to place. Yet, this has a drawback as well, it does take up some good amount of place to do so. This is not very secure as well. Another available option is adhesive.
This will require much less space and is more secure. But its also permanent. If this type of dash cam is removed from the place it may leave some residue like glue. Mounting a dash cam on a windshield allows one to rotate it in any way one wants. It is a better place to place a dash cam than a dashboard.
Basics of Dash Cam
Before understating where to mount a dash cam guide, learn the basics of it.
1. Types Of Dash cams
- Only used for recording the front view, back view.
- Used for viewing inside also known as Uber cam.
Each camera has a different function. Most cameras include a screen that is of the rearview. The rearview mirror screen can be found attached to the rearview mirror. They help when to see backward.
Some of them are attached to the windshield, dash, or as suitable to the interior of the car.
Like any other available camera in the market dash, cams to come with rechargeable batteries.
These are very reliable devices. To make sure that the video files are recorded, they are time-stamped in a tamper-proof manner.A motion detector is used to detect any vehicle or human coming closer to the vehicle.An advanced driver assistance system[ADAS] is a feature that helps save the park location of the car.
Before actually diving in on where to mount a das cam, we need to note that the dash cam shouldn’t be firstly total insight. Camflouging the device is helpful. Getting a small one which is matte back in color will do the job. It would be better if it doesn’t stand out, it should blend in with the color of the car.
One will surely question why this is important?Let us suppose a thief, is aiming at your vehicle. once they notice a dash cam, they would be careful and know that they will get caught.
If one does not insert a dash cam, if any such incidents take place, it will be difficult for anyone to track the thief or the one who damaged the car.
How To Mount A Dash cam?
These steps are to follow when putting on an adhesive mount.
The windshield should be completely and thoroughly clean. Ensure that the area is completely wiped and dry at room temperature [not too hot and too cold].
Once the above steps are done, make sure to press one’s hands against the mount. Ensure to add pressure. Hold on for approximately 10 seconds. holding it on for ten seconds makes sure that it is properly bonded.
They shouldn’t fall off when there is some vibration etc. The same instructions apply for the suction mount dash cam. One should note that mounting the material on other materials such as leather and plastic etc, will result in insecure and weak holding.
How To Remove A Dash cam From A Mounted Place?
Removing a dash cam from where it is mounted is more difficult than mounting it. The adhesive applied would be very strong hence making it difficult for us to remove. Prying tools can be used to remove the dash cam.
Prying tools would make sure that the bond between the glue and cam is loosened. Most of the prying tools would be provided in the kit.The best method to remove a dash cam is by using a blow-dryer or a heat gun. Make sure to aim it to the outside of the vehicle against the vehicle. As soon as it heats up, the adhesive loosens up. This will make it easier to take out.
Top Sash Cams
1. Nextbase Dash Cam
- QUAD HD LOOP RECORDING & 6 LANE WIDE VIEWING ANGLE: The 422GW has been designed to provide high quality, detailed images of your journey on the road with the option of 1080p/60fps and 1440p/30fps front recording with a Glass F1.6 lens. The 140° wide viewing angle ensures that a wide coverage of the road ahead will be recorded for fantastic footage
- ALEXA VOICE CONTROL & TOUCHSCREEN BUILT-IN: The Nextbase Series 2 range is the world's first 1440p DashCam series with Alexa built-in. With Alexa Built-in and access to tens of thousands of skills, you can ask to play music, place calls, listen to audiobooks, hear the news, check the weather, control smart home devices, get directions, find parking, and more
- EMERGENCY SOS RESPONSE, BLUETOOTH 4.2, & WiFi: In the event of an accident, 322GW provides ultimate Vehicle Accessory on the road. Track where an accident happened, safeguard your footage upon impact and allow the dash cam to automatically alert emergency services of your location and for help in the case of an accident. The alert instantly sends your personal medical data such as blood type and medical history to paramedics to aid in rescue
This comes with a 32 GB memory card.it includes an SOS warning system as well. The SOS warning system alerts the driver’s primary contacts when the driver is unresponsive. This dash cam also has all the features of Alexa.
One can listen to audiobooks, music, place calls, control home smart devices, etc all while driving. It is auto-synced to the driver’s phone making it easier to share photos and videos. They also include intelligent parking mode which tracks down the humps and bumps while one is parking.
2. Nextbase dash cam 222
- WIDE 2.5" HIGH RESOLUTION SCREEN - View all your footage on the 2.5" award-winning IPS screen with upgraded picture resolution and clarity for high quality recordings
- HD RECORDING AT 30FPS AND 140° WIDE VIEWING ANGLE - The 222 records in 1080p HD resolution at 30fps with a 6G lens to provide high quality images and footage for your journey on the road and for insurance claims. The 140° wide viewing angle ensures that a wide coverage of the road ahead will be recorded
- CLICK&GO PRO POWERED CAR MOUNT- The new, exclusive car mount installs the power cable directly into the mount so that your dash cam is wireless. The integrated magnetic power connectors allow you to install and remove your dash cam easily
This cam is of the same brand as the above, it has a much easier connection than ever. This includes HD recording. The HD resolution ranges from 720p to 1080p. this includes a 32 GB storage as well.
3. Pathinglek Dash cam 1080p DVR
- 🎁🎁【WIFI Connect Function】:You can connect your camera with your phone via WiFi,view and check your recording video on your phone more conveniently.
- 🎁🎁【Mini Dash Camera】: 2 inches LCD dash cam, this little dash camera make sure it would not distract your attention when you drive.
- 🎁🎁【1080P Full HD Dash Cam】Ensure full high-definition recording with super high resolution 1080P FHD Lens, deliver clearer videos&images and replay the key moment.
This camera includes super night light. It has a big aperture and a Wide Dynamic Range, hence when driving in the evening this camera will be reliable and safer. It also has a large recorder, which gives details very precisely.
It has a G sensor, when it collides with any vehicle the recording automatically turns on. It also has intelligent automatic deletion when the memory card is full. The normal videos without much information get deleted automatically. The important evidence is not deleted and is protected separately.
The type of dash camera one wants for their requirement depends on their choice. Where you mount a dash cam in a car is very important. It provides us solid evidence of anything. The place of mounting is also in the driver’s hand. It depends on their comfortability.