Each of us would have had dreams to have a spy gadget. All because of the interesting detective movies we see. We have a deep craze towards these gadgets and spying on someone. So getting a proper reliable spy gadget may not be a part of our budget. So imagine if we could make one in our houses. Here we have listed DIY spy gadgets with some do it yourself ideas and guides so that you can make your own spy gadget.
Diy Spy Gadgets: Some Do It Yourself Ideas And Guides
Our dreams of owning a spy gadget like Sherlock Holmes or James Bond is not over. It is time to make some exciting gadgets all on our own. So making these gadgets do not need any special training or prior knowledge. All we need is a proper interest in making the gadget. So let us see the different gadgets we can make and the needed steps to get the output.
1. DIY Spy Dolls Or Spy Teddies
This is the easiest task to get a simple but worthy DIY spy gadget. All we need is our old dolls or teddies with some clear eyes. We fix the cameras instead of the eyes and we can record the needed things. This is a basic DIY spy gadget that may help us have a camera in our rooms or houses without anyone noticing it. Here are the steps to make one:
- Find a toy that looks good but not very torn or bad. If it is good, people won’t have any doubts about it.
- Get some pinhole cameras or small cameras that can be fitted instead of the eyes of the toy. Now fixing it in the eyes of the doll or teddy is the key to the gadget. It should never look odd on the toy. It should look like the eye of the toy so that nobody can ever have any doubts about it. If not the eye, we can also fix it in some other place where we can get a proper view.
- Now after fixing it, check with a device if the view is right and there are no problems in connectivity. Now place the toy in the right place where no one would get doubts about it.
This would get ourselves a mini gadget that may help us record our surroundings.
So we would need the following things to get this gadget ready
- A doll or teddy
- A small pinhole camera
- A device to check the recordings
2. DIY Spy Telescope Or Binoculars
A telescope can be a very useful DIY spy gadget to have. We can see things or people far away from our place. We can even use it to spy our neighbors or our pets at times. But making it is not something very hard or impossible. Let us see the steps needed to make a spy telescope.
- Get the tubes and cut the outer one in half. Now cut pieces of 1 or 1.5 inches from the inner tube too. The reason for these pieces is that they hold the lens in the proper place.
- Drill a hole in the tube lid to get the eye-hole. It should be smooth enough as it is the place where we keep our eyes and view.
- Now one inch away from the end of the larger tube, drill a few small holes. This is for gluing the inner part of the tube. Now fix the Plano-concave lens against the cap. Make sure the flat side is against the cap.
- Use the holes we made to squeeze glue and spread it with the other side of the lens. Leave it to dry based on how much time the glue may need to get set.
- Cut away the closed end of the outer tube as that is the place where the inner tube may go. Get your first spacer inside the outer tube and make it lie flat on the inside of the inner tube. This will hold our concave-convex lens.
- We again need to drill holes for gluing. Insert the lens and second spacer. Leave the glue untouched and let it dry. Insert the inner tube into the outer tube.
- Try to slide the pieces in such a way the focus gets right. This will complete our job and we may have a neat telescope in our hands. We could even see stars in the sky through the telescope.
These are the things needed to make the spy telescope or monocular.
- A drill for some small drills in a tube
- A small scale cutting tool like the coping saw
- A mailing tube that has an inner and outer tube. It should have a diameter of 2 inches and a length of 44 inches.
- A concave-convex lens with a 49 mm diameter
- A Plano-concave lens with 49 mm diameter
3. DIY GPS tracker
A GPS tracker is an excellent spy gadget to build. Many of us have only bought it in the stores but may have never tried to build it. But we may have to buy all the needed parts from different places. Here we have the steps needed to make a GPS tracker. If we follow the steps right, we are a few minutes away from making our own GPS tracker.
- Get the converter that may be available in the nearby stores or even online. Make sure it is the 12 V to 5 V converter. They will not drain the battery much as they are not going to consume more than 15 W.
- Have a phone which is not of much use. No special requirements for the phone as it is going to help us with tracking only. A sim is not very important if there is WiFi available. If not get a sim with a simple net plan so that we can track the vehicle in real-time.
- Get or download tracking software that may help us track the phone. Get a good tracking software as there are many fake ones nowadays. So once the phone gets set we will be able to get the details until there is the power to the device.
- Attach the converter and the phone to a compatible output in the car. This will give the phone power. For this, we could use a T-tap connector or even something else. Make sure to have a neat set up so that it doesn’t disturb the person driving.
- This is an easy way to track a vehicle. Now we may have a good GPS tracker made on our own.
Here are the things needed to make a good GPS tracker on our own.
- A 12 V to 5 V converter
- A phone
- A sim card for the internet. If Wi-Fi is available, the sim is not compulsory.
- Tracking software.
- Some connector for power supply
4. DIY Keyhole Peeking Device
This may sound like a simple device but it can be very handy at times. So what we are going to build is a small DIY spy gadget that helps us see through keyholes. We can use this to spy on our brother’s or friend’s room. Let us see the steps needed in detail to make this gadget.
- Cut the paper into the right size. Make sure it is not too large and it should be in a size that fits the marble. A smaller marble is better as it helps us see through the keyholes better.
- Set the marble in the center of one edge in the paper and wrap the paper around it. Make sure to wrap it about two times for better stability.
- The paper must wrap the marble very tight so that the marble does not fall away. Once wrapping gets done, start taping the wrapped paper. Tape it in a way that it stays in a tube shape. Half of our marble should be outside the paper and the remaining must be inside. A toothpick can help us keep the marble in place.
We now have a small gadget that can help us peek through keyholes without any problem. Check the gadget in a nearby keyhole by placing the side with the marble into it. We will be able to see an upside version of the room.
The things needed to make this mini gadget are
- A small and clear marble. A new one will give us a better view.
- Black thick paper
5. DIY Fingerprint Gadget
Imagine how cool it would be to have something to capture fingerprints. We even believe that catching fingerprints makes us a small scale DIY spy gadget. It is not a very tough process to catch fingerprints. We could even use the fingerprints to spy on phones that have a fingerprint lock. We could have all the materials as a kit and it may help us catch fingerprints. So let us see how to get the fingerprints with our materials.
- Get the chalk and grind it into powder. Mix it with a considerable amount of corn starch too. Mix it well and keep it aside. Remember to close it before keeping it aside for extra safety.
- Spot the place where the fingerprint would be. This might be the hardest part but if it is the right place, then our work is almost done.
- Pour the mixture of chalk and corn starch on the spot. Don’t pour too much of the mixture. Brush the excess mixture on the place away. If the spot is right, then we can observe the fingerprint now.
- If the fingerprint is visible, get the tape and pick it up. Now we can use it for our needs. This is some simple work but it can help us get the right fingerprint.
The things needed for our fingerprint catching kit are
- Corn starch
- Chalk. It is good to have black chalk as they give us clear fingerprints.
- A brush to brush away the excess mixture
- Scotch tape to get the fingerprints
6. DIY Spy Pen
This will be a great DIY spy gadget to have as we could use this pen to record voices. We can even place cameras to record videos but that is not a DIY task. This is because it can look odd and we may not place it right. But we can place something that can record voices or even place secret notes in it. All we do is place the pen in the room so that we could hear conversations we are not a part of. So let us see the steps needed to make our spy pen.
- Get the two pens we bought. Both should be of the same length but one should be thick and the other one should be thin. Getting colored ones are a better choice so that what we place inside remains hidden to everyone. Disassemble both the pens without breaking any part of it.
- Now the task is replacing the thick pen’s refill with the thin pen’s refill. This gives us more space in the thick pen and we can place the needed things.
- Get a small recording device in size so that we can place it in the pen. Place it in the pen and close the lid. The pen should look as it looks with a refill. And make sure the pen writes without any problem even after placing the recorder. This is to reduce any form of doubt on the pen.
- After placing the pen in the place where we want the recording to happen. When the task is over, take the pen and disassemble it again. Now connect the recording device and we may get our needed recordings. This is a very helpful gadget as we can even use it in other places like schools or colleges to record.
These are the things needed to make a cool spy pen that records voices.
- A thick and thin pen of the same length. It should also not be transparent so that nothing is visible from the outside.
- The small recording device
Some DIY Spy Gadgets To Make
There are many other DIY spy gadgets we can make.
A spy periscope– This is like the model we make in our school times. It will be useful in seeing gaps and corners but not a very big DIY spy gadget.
Secret spy box– This is not a very big gadget but these secret boxes may help is store something that only we wish to see. We can make the box and cover it up like something else. For example, we can design a chessboard like a box and have secret compartments down.
Walkie-talkies– This may not be an easy process but having someone elder will help us do this. This is a toy that we all have been very eager to have right from our childhood. Making it may need some electrical knowledge. But if we succeed, we may have a small scale walkie-talkie.
These are a few DIy spy gadgets that we can make by ourselves.
Having a spy gadget will be quite exciting and we can do a lot of crazy stuff with it. There are a few simple DIY spy gadgets that we can make on our own. If you follow the instructions or steps given above, you may have designed a mini spy gadget by yourself. Hope you have some fun making these cool gadgets.