The rangeﬁnder is a device used for measuring the distance from the observer to the established target. It is useful in the ﬁeld of archery, golf, and even for the bird-watching activity. It becomes essential at the places where the exact distance to the target decides the ultimate result of the activity. In this article ‘How does a Rangeﬁnder work’ you will get the step-by-step guide of this process. Also, the essential information and necessary tips associated with the entire process.
How Does a Rangefinder Work?
The rangeﬁnders are used by most of the golfers, archers, and by hunters also. They use this tool to gather information about the distance to the target. The accuracy of the rangeﬁnder changes with the distance of the target. You may also come across the faults in readings at times. But this is common when the distance is large and the target is unstable.
The rangeﬁnders are heavy and bulky and are more compact and capable of ﬁnding the range. There are certain rangeﬁnders available in the market which vary in their features and performances. You will get the necessary details about their workings along with the features available with each of the rangeﬁnder.
1. Laser Rangeﬁnder
A laser rangeﬁnder is an advanced device that makes use of the technology to complete the work. It is easy to use this device and provides accurate results most of the time. It shoots the laser beam at a speed as high as that of the light from the emitter and starts doing its function. It is the device which uses the modern-day technology and works on the simple principle.
The laser rangefinder working principle is that it shoots a laser beam from an emitter to the set target. Then, it measures the time the beam takes to get reﬂected back to the receiver. This measures the distance between the rangeﬁnder and the target. The beam travels at the speed of the light and the speed of light is measurable. It uses the principle of time taken by the beam to get reﬂected back and the speed to reach the target. Then, it computes the distance from the targeted object.
The laser beam emitted from the rangeﬁnder is very narrow but gets diverge and spread over a larger area due to the presence of air in the atmosphere. It doesn’t mean that it will not work on wider objects. It can work on all kind of objects and provide the results. It is because the produced beam widens enough to cover the target. After this, it gets reﬂected back from that object. This is how does a golf rangefinder works too.
It is to be noted that the rangeﬁnders do not work properly on all objects. You cannot use it for objects like glass, in which the beam passes entirely through it and doesn’t get reﬂected back. Also, the angled objects deﬂect some of the beams away from the rangeﬁnder.
The biggest advantage of using the laser rangeﬁnder is that it works very quickly and can ﬁre thousands of pulses at the target. It makes use of this entire range to determine the correct distance. It produces a speciﬁc wavelength which is different than the wavelength of any normal light. It is also much accurate than the optical and ultrasonic rangeﬁnders. It can be operated by a single person and thus reduces the stafﬁng requirements and increase the speed of the measurement process. The results are not affected by the incorrect positioning of the tool and other operator errors. The advanced processors and clear screens in the laser rangeﬁnder increase the accuracy and usefulness. It also facilitates comfort and is easy to use.
The rangeﬁnder gets the readings from several things. Some of them will be from the target itself while some from the other objects lying to the side and back of the target. The device considers all the readings, analyses them and uses an algorithm to provide the most accurate distance. It ﬁnds that if there is any common distance among all the readings. If it discovers the common distance, then it will the object that the user is trying to aim. In this way, the rangeﬁnder ﬁnds the most appropriate distance and show it to the user.Vortex Optics Ranger Laser Rangefinders is one of the best laser rangefinder that you can buy.
2. Optical Rangeﬁnder
Now also look at how does an optical rangefinder work. The optical rangeﬁnder is not common these days and the use of laser rangeﬁnder has increased in recent days. But it has its own beneﬁts. You don’t need a reﬂective target for using this device. The optics produced not get distracted due to the weather conditions or the surrounding objects and terrain.
The use of this device has reduced and is hardly available at a shop or online. It is because it is unable to compete with the modern laser rangeﬁnder. The laser rangeﬁnder not only has technically advanced features but is also readily available at a less price than the optical rangeﬁnder. It works on either of the two principles namely coincidence or stereoscopic rangeﬁnding.
The coincidence rangeﬁnding shows images of the targeted object which is reﬂected from two different sources. The operator receives these images and looks after them with a single eye to make the adjustments. These adjustments are necessary so as to match the alignment with the object. The images are aligned in a manner known as ‘coincidence’. Also, the amount of adjustment you wish to make determines the distance to the set target.
On the other hand, in stereoscopic rangeﬁnding, you have to use both the eyes to make the adjustments. The distance is determined on the basis of these align reference markings generated while using the device. This is how do rangefinder binoculars work too.
It has monocular devices including built-in scales. It includes a pre-loaded conversion chart which provides the graph for distance reading. This device contains the lenses at the opposite ends which helps in focusing on the target. It also has a focusing knob that creates the overlays of the images on each other.
The knob also marks with the scale that converts the reading into the distance. This provides accuracy in the readings and ensures proper results. Also, you have to remain cautious while working with the optical rangeﬁnder, i.e. the device should remain stable. Otherwise, the results will be affected and the accuracy might get limited. The BARSKA Blueline 8x22 Waterproof is one optical rangefinder that we like.
3. RADAR Technology
Radio Detection and Ranging (RADAR) technology makes use of the beam and determines the distance through it only. It releases the beam over a larger area and is used mainly for determining the speed and distance of larger objects.
RADAR sends a pulse of laser light beam along with a pulse of the radio signal to detect the target. It travels at the same speed as of the light and enables the RADAR to read the time and distance travelled by the laser beam to the object. The bounce-back time of the beam is measured by the device. Then, it calculates the distance from the RADAR to the object.
The long wavelength of this device emits the beam over a bigger area. This makes it suitable to determine distance and time. You can measure it from larger objects such as ships and aircraft. It also has an advantage that it can work in any conditions such as in the cloudy weather or at night also. It can operate in long distances and complete the task quickly.
Sonar rangeﬁnding is another technique used in the rangeﬁnder. It makes use of the sound vibrations to measure the time. It calculates the time taken by the sound pulse to travel to and back from a target. It travels at a speed as of the sound and helps in measuring the distance of the rangeﬁnder to the targeted object. It is usually used in the underwater where it is difﬁcult for the laser beam and radio waves to travel. It is also a good technique that can provide accurate results quickly and easily.
How to Use a Rangeﬁnder?
Using a rangeﬁnder is not a difﬁcult task but require several precautions and tips to gather the correct distance from the object. The rangeﬁnders are used for various activities such as in the ﬁeld of golf or archery and in hunting also. It is better to read the instructions manual before using the device. You should read the manual ﬁrst and then proceed further to get the results.
The different rangeﬁnders have unique features that can affect the results. If they are not properly used, then they can reduce the accuracy in getting the proper distance from the object. They come with speciﬁc user manuals. However, some of the devices are hard to use but you can use the instructions manual to make your task easy and quick. Here are the steps of the two rangeﬁnders which are commonly used- the laser rangeﬁnder and the optical rangeﬁnder.
1. Steps For Using The Laser Rangeﬁnder
Step 1: Buying A Suitable Laser Rangeﬁnder
The ﬁrst and foremost step is to buy a laser rangeﬁnder which can provide accurate distance from the device to the targeted object. You can buy the same from a local hardware store or online shopping platforms.
It is necessary to buy a suitable device because the high-quality of it ensures more accuracy. You should try to get a perfect laser rangeﬁnder according to the requirements.
Step 2: Turn On The Device And Adjust Its Features
In this step, you have to turn on the laser rangeﬁnder and make it ready for the operation. After turning on, you need to adjust its features that suit the prevailing conditions such as weather, terrain, and location. You will ﬁnd that most of the rangeﬁnders have different features. So, it is advised to change the features such as the mode or the sights or adjust it according to the slope.
Step 3: Point The Device To The Target To Get The Results
When you are ﬁnished with making the necessary adjustments, you have to move further and start using the device. Also, you will be available to clearly see through the rangeﬁnder lenses. After this, you have to just lift the rangeﬁnder and view your target. When you get a clear sight of the targeted object, press the button.
The rest of the work will be done by the device. It will measure the distance using its laser beams. The accuracy of it depends on the amount of beam reﬂected on the target. You can also improve the accuracy by targeting it at a more reﬂective surface.
2. Steps For Using The Optical Rangeﬁnder
Step 1: Buying An Optical Rangeﬁnder
The ﬁrst step in this process also includes buying an optical rangeﬁnder that suits your needs. It may be possible that you will not be able to ﬁnd the same online but you can buy it from a local store, where it is available.
Step 2: Start The Device And View The Target
In the second step, you have to use the optical rangeﬁnder. First of all, you need to remove it from the carrying case. Then, raise the rangeﬁnder eyepiece. You have to look at the target from the upper and lower mirrors of the device. Make sure to turn the device until the targeted object or image is overlaid into one image.
Step 3: Set The Target
You have to view the distance to the target on the screen of the device. It means that you should look at the target and then point the device towards it. The device will provide accurate distance and helps in achieving better results. You can then place the device back to the carrying case. This will prevent it from breakage and can be used to take measurement of another target.
Tips for Using Rangeﬁnders
- Always read the instructions manual before using the rangeﬁnder. It is because it contains all the information related to the device structure such as an eyepiece, buttons, and objective lens. The details about the different features are also available in the user’s manual.
- For getting accurate results, you can press the power or mode button at regular intervals. This will show the distance of the target again on the screen.
- Never try to open the rangeﬁnder and made the changes in its internal parts. Also, not make an attempt to dismantle or interfere with the inner electrical elements.
- The accuracy of the rangeﬁnder also depends on the prevailing weather conditions. It varies due to change in the temperatures, increasing or decreasing humidity, and also the fog, if it is present.
- For cleaning the lenses of the rangeﬁnder, you can use a soft cloth and alcohol designed speciﬁcally for the laser rangeﬁnder. It should clear the lens without any dent on optics and sleek down the lenses in a circular motion.
Best Models of Rangeﬁnder
1. Gogogo Sport GS07-650 Laser Rangeﬁnder
- HIGH PERFORMANCE & AFFORDABLE RANGEFINDER - Gogogo Sport focus on providing worldwide customers with great quality products but at the affordable price. Let our customers pay LESS and get MORE! The most effective rangefinder on this market., worth your every penny.
- GOLF/HUNTING RANGEFINDER - Come with 3 Modes, Normally Scan Mode, this mode can be used to range measurement of all items within the scope of application(5-650 Yard). Golf Mode, this mode design for golf sports specifically, pin-seek(150 Yard),flag-lock(300 Yard), JOLT Technology, Slope Distance Correction. Speed Modes, Measuring Range of Speed: 20-300km/h, this mode is ideal for hunting or other outdoor sports.
- EXCELLENT GOLF MODE - This newest GS03 Golf Rangefinder is equipped with the most advanced golf rangefinder technology. Pin-seeking and flag-lock tech let you know the exact distance to swing. And when you lock to the target, pin, flag, or anything else, the JOLT tech would vibrate to remind you, and the data will appear in front of your eyes. clearly. At least but not last, the very helpful Slope Distance Correction function, the SDC function would help you swing in the right distance.
- Gogogo Sport GS07-650 Laser Rangeﬁnder comes with three modes such as the scan mode, golf mode, and speed modes. With these modes, you can change the speed and used to range measurement of all items. It is ideal for golf, hunting, and outdoor sports.
- It is fast and easy to use. You can get quick and accurate measurement within the 1 yard. It has one button meter and on button mode switching.
- It is very convenient to carry and can be moved easily from one place to another. Other than the outdoor activities, it is also an excellent choice for home yards. It provides greater accuracy and interesting functions to complete the task quickly and easily.
- This model is equipped with the advanced feature which is useful in the ﬁeld of golf. The new golf rangeﬁnder technology helps in getting the exact distance from the target.
- You will also get the useful Slope Distance Correction position. This is very helpful for getting good results in golf. It enables you to swing in the right direction. It also provides good customer care service and you can ask any of your queries. Moreover, you will get a one-year warranty with this product.
2. Vortex Optics Ranger Laser Rangeﬁnders
- The Ranger 1500 rangefinder is easy to use and features a clean, illuminated display and highly intuitive menu. The Ranger 1500 is capable of ranging up to 1,500 yards.
- The primary HCD mode displays an angle compensated distance that is ideal for the majority of hunters and shooters. An advanced LOS mode provides you the option to calculate long distance, high angle shots with increased precision.
- A scan feature gives continuous range readings as you pan across a landscape or track a moving target. Three brightness settings allow the display to stay visible in various light conditions.
- The Vortex Optics Ranger Laser Rangeﬁnder is suitable for the hunters and shooters who need to make accurate shots.
- It is easy to use the device and provides a clean display for showing the ranges and data properly. The highly intuitive menu is also easy to use and provides a high level of performance.
- This model has Primary HCD (Horizontal Component Distance) mode to ease the shooting and hunting task. It displays an angle-compensated distance reading. It can be used in various situations such as archery shooting and riﬂe shooting at any range.
- The presence of Scan mode is another beneﬁt of this laser rangeﬁnder. It is capable of giving the range readings of the landscape mode and also of the moving animal. You can range the targeted objects present at the same location. It can be done either in HCD or LOS modes.
- It is packed with fully multi-coated lenses that help to deliver optimal light transmission. It is also featured with the three reticle brightness settings that can match with the ambient light conditions.
3. Bushnell Engage LE1300SBL Hunting Laser Rangeﬁnder
- 2x brighter: 50% larger Objective lens paired with an all glass optical system
- Arc technology: angle range compensation (Arc) accounts for terrain angle
- Exon barrier
- Bushnell Engage Hunting Laser Rangeﬁnder is a perfect choice for the hunting purpose. It provides 2×brighter all-glass optical system which helps in bringing more light to your eye from a brighter object.
- It is power-packed with the ARC technology. The Angle Range Compensation(ARC) technology helps at the terrain angles. In other words, it provides an accurate distance to any uphill or downhill ranging.
- The EXO barrier technology is another plus point of this device. It helps in preventing water, dust, and debris on the lenses. This provides an unobstructed view, every time you will use it.
- The true color facility also helps in getting the perfect view of the targeted object. The fully multi-coated optics with ultra-wideband coatings provide bright colors.
- You will get the accessories such as durable carrying case, lanyard tether, and Para cord for better results.
The rangeﬁnder is a device used mainly for measuring the distance of a person to a speciﬁc object. Using this device is an easy task and can be effectively used with the help of the instructions manual and a few tips. You can use this device for hunting, shooting, and playing golf and archery. There are no such hard steps to operate it properly. By gaining some information, you can get the best results of the rangeﬁnder as well as of your particular task also. The best option is to pick a laser rangeﬁnder to obtain quick and accurate results. You will surely get satisﬁed with the great results of this device.