Spy Activities are so much fun. It involves a full utilization of the analytical and logical faculties of the brain. It also additionally helps us in acquiring new skills and polishing our observational talents. So, let us bid goodbye to boredom with some of the most interesting and fun spy activities for 8-10 year olds.
Table of Contents
Spy Activities For 8-10 Years Olds
1. Secret Messages
One of the most primary rules of being a spy is to know how to communicate secretly. For this, you must know a secret language and how to draft secret messages. There are many ways in which you can communicate with each other secretly like spies. So let us check these out!
The Invisible Ink
Invisible ink is an excellent method to send messages in secrecy. There is more than one way to get the invisible ink. You can make it on your own. Yes, you read right! You can make your own invisible spy ink with nothing more than a bunch of items commonly available in the kitchen of almost every house. So let us start the procedure of making the invisible ink.
- Take ¼ cups of baking soda and ¼ cups of water
- Now blend both the baking soda and water together properly.
- The ink is ready.
- Use a paintbrush or a Q- tip to write whatever you want on a sheet of paper.
- Let the message dry.
- You will notice that the page appears to be completely clear and the message is not visible to anyone.
- Now to reveal the message, take some grape juice concentrate.
- Smear the grape juice on the message to reveal its contents.
The grape juice concentrate consists of an acidic component. This acid reacts with the baking soda and changes its color. Due to the changed color, the message is suddenly visible.
You can use a glow in the dark paint which is easily available in the market. Use the paint to write your messages. Then with the help of a flashlight, you can read the message clearly.
It is important to know coding as a spy. There are many ways to encode your language or your letters some of which are listed below.
Another common way to send a secret message is by drafting the messages in the form of riddles. If you have seen spy movies or read some of the detective novels, you must be familiar with this point. You can use a famous song or a popular nursery rhyme of your choice and change some of its words to form a secret message.
You can also use a code language to convey a secret message. There can be many ways of forming a code. You can write a message as an exact opposite which could be understood only when looked in a mirror. You can spell the words backward.
Ex: If you want to write to a BOY, you will write it like YOB.
You can use pictures instead of actual words. You can also try using alphanumeric codes like substituting letters for numbers.
Ex: If you want to write a GIRL then use the numbers instead of letters. Like G is the 7th letter of the alphabet, I is 9th, R is 18th and L is 12th. So the code for GIRL will be 791812.
Also, you can use a code where you substitute each letter with the letter that comes next or prior to it.
Ex: If you want to write CAT you can use the next of each letter like DBU
Or, CAT becomes BZS!
3. Tracing The Clue
Being a spy is an adventurous and very challenging task. So you must be aware and observant of the surroundings. You must have the skill to follow a clue to reach a conclusion. You can polish your clue seeking skills by many fun activities like treasure hunting or solving a mystery.
You can hide one of your child’s favorite items like a favorite toy, A chocolate bar, or a new video game! Leave clues all around and let the child find their way to the object. Set a time limit to reach the goal and let them use their detective skills.
4. Learning an Extra Language
You can encourage your child to learn a few extra languages to become a better spy. Spies always are fluent in many languages to make most of the situations. Apart from that children might learn sign languages. These skills will enhance their thinking capacity and will prove to be beneficial later in life. As being a spy, one must know the Morse Code. You can download various mobile applications as well as enroll in some fun children activity sites online to learn and practice morse code. Apart from the morse code, you can also learn Braille he sign language.
You must have seen the famous spies searching for fingerprints. Fingerprints are very important pieces of evidence. Everyone has a different set of fingerprints. That is right! No two individuals on earth can have the same set of fingerprints. So if you have fingerprints from the crime scene you can match it to each suspect and catch the criminal with a perfect match. If you want to testify this fact see for yourself. So, for making things interesting let us learn to make fingerprints with a bunch of easily available items so that you can see how each one is different from the other.
Things You Need:
- Flour or baby powder
- A small box
- A brush (make-up brush or any other with similar volume)
- Clear tape
- Small squares of black paper
- Magnifying glass
- Take either the flour or the baby powder.
- Put it in the small container.
- Take small squares of the black paper
- These black squares will be the object from which you will gather the fingerprints.
- Use the clear tape and powder to reveal the fingerprints.
Being a spy means to be very secretive. Also, you need to be good at finding hidden objects as well as hiding objects that are important. One of the few tricks to hide an object is to conceal it in plain sight. So let us learn to make a classic book safe.
Things You Need:
- A thick, old, and unwanted book with a hardcover.
- Craft knife
- Take an old and unwanted hardcover book.
- Open the book and leave the first few pages as it is.
- Take a ruler and measure a rectangular shape on the right-hand side page of the book.
- You can also use a compass or any round object to draw a circular shape on the right-hand side page of the book.
- Take a pencil and carefully trace the outline of the shape.
- Now it is time to cut. Keep the ruler or the circular object at one edge for guidance and cut through the pages with the help of a knife.
- Once the void is created, you can glue all the pages together and leave it to dry.
- Now your book safe is ready to hide clues or some important things.
As a spy, there are a lot of devices that come in handy. You should have a magnifying glass, a periscope, a pen, and a diary wanted posters, mugshots, and much more. It is a lot of fun to actually make your own devices with a signature look. You can go online to learn more about crafting your personalized spy devices by using the day to day items.
Things To Keep In Mind
There are many things to keep in mind while letting your child enjoy the spy life.
It is important that you should keep an eye on the kids while playing and ensure their safety.
- Make sure that the children do not eat anything hazardous while playing, like color, invisible ink, papers, etc.
- Make sure that children should not smear or touch anything used in the game.
- There should be constant supervision while the children make crafts. Make sure they do not injure others or themselves while using knives, scissors, etc.
- Make sure that children are in front of you all the time while playing to avoid any mishaps.
- Ensure that if children are playing in an open space they should remain in the nearby area and should not go very far away or in some unknown place.
- It is advisable to not let children play in or around any object or space which could get locked easily.
Playing spy games helps in the overall development of your child. It encourages children to use their skills perfectly. It is an interesting and fun way to inculcate the habits of observation and deduction in your child. It inspires children to learn new foreign languages as well as to be aware of new crafts and activities. It is a lot of fun to exercise new skills and learn new stuff. you can have some good DIY spy gadgets also for them. You should also tell them about some real-life spies.
So, go ahead and plan a bunch of exciting activities for your 8-10 years olds with the help of the list and let them explore the world. Moreover, you should get them some good spy kits under your budget.